Ok, here's a recap of what I've done this school year so far: I'll go into more detail in a bit. I'm still trying to play catch up and outline all that I've done in this effort. Then I can start writing more currently!
November 8 - brought the movie "Two Angry Moms" to Tulsa. More than 30 people showed up. Assembled a group of "experts" dedicated to improving children's health to join discussion after the movie.
December - Showed a pp presentation to school administrators and made a plea for more proactive nutrition/better school food efforts within our district. Did this with another mom. Showed statistics and facts as to why/how unhealthy food affects learning, school's bottom line, etc. Not recieved very well. Administrators did not see a strong need. They did agree to create a district-wide healthy and fit committee but it will only meet once a year!
November - Had a successful "healthy eating" themed PTA meeting. A rep from OK Fit Kids Coalition spoke at the event. Had healthy snack samples. Had great and positive discussion amongst parents.
December - Major ICE STORM hit. City shut down for week. No electricity for days. My son was sick during all of this. I did not handle this stressful situation very well but it was a learning experience. Then Christmas season - had to stop and reevaluate all of my efforts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment