Monday, April 27, 2009

e-mail sent to 50 parents on April 19

Hi,Thank you to everyone for your interest in a new wellness policy for the Jenks School board. Most of you know, AP (pediatric dietician and JEE mom), JE (JWE mom) and I (JEE mom) made a presentation to the Jenks school board last Monday proposing a new wellness policy (Please see attached.) and proposing that the school board consider implementing the CATCH program. www.catchinfo.org.I'm pleased to say, the meeting went very well. The school board seemed very open and receptive to our suggestions. Several came up to thank us afterwards! This is the good news. We have our work cut out for us going forward and we'll need your help. Our next step is to bring up the topic again at the May meeting, and ask them to vote. The specifics of what we're asking them to vote for will be in my next e-mail. (Basically asking them to approve a committee to figure out how we are going to implement, communicate, go forward with the proposal.) Exactly what we will need help with will also be in a future e-mail. (I need to pace myself a bit!)On the same note, last week I visited with Pat Meadows, the director of the school lunch program. She is supportive of our efforts and wants us to know all of the changes we ARE making in the school cafeteria. She is striving to make changes and I've attached a docmument outlining changes they've made over the past few years. She is limited on what she can do due to USDA guidelines and costs. Interestingly, there is a lot of effort going on at the national level to make changes in our school lunch program. The new administration wants to make this a priority. I can forward some info. about this if you're interested. (But it may be a couple of weeks.)YOUR TIME: I really value everyone's time. If you do not want to be on this e-mail list, please let me know and I will remove your name. I hope to create a yahoo group or some form of communication mode in the future.

No comments: