Monday, April 27, 2009

The process

covered, trying to find my way to the other side. Not sure what I'm doing but sticking to my faith and perseverence. I know that when I find that door, however I have to get there, there will be light. And this light will be progress at Jenks. Parents, teachers and students will KNOW that our school system takes wellness seriously and while yes, we still have the occasional treat, it's in MODERATION, and the students know WHY it should be in moderation. I'm excited. In the meantime, I keep plugging away. Would love your thoughts (especially those who know how school boards work!) Let me know what you think of the following:

Next Monday, May 4th we present to the SB and ask them to VOTE to accept the Jenks Wellness policy and piloting the CATCH program. Specifically we ask them to vote to approve a parent/teacher committee from JSE, JEE and JWE. The committee will be divided into the following sub-committees (each with about 7 to 10 members)
Policy implementation (within a reasonable time frame)
Policy education (to parents, teachers and students)
a CATCH committee (looking at how to implement a pilot program)
A grant writing team
A school lunch improvement team (to work closely with Pat Meadows)
A snack/fundraiser/party team
This means we will have to recruit about 60 parents and teachers! We can do it. We'll propose this as part of our presentation on Monday evening. All of the above is what Lisa and I brainstormed at a meeting today. Open to change and would love constructive feedback.

No comments: